Led by a panel of health care and medical experts from Tempe St. Luke's Hospital, the Motion Academy provides patients with the practical knowledge needed to prepare for orthopaedic surgery, hospitalization, recovery and a better quality of life.
Who Should Attend?
If you or a loved one are having, or are considering, surgery as a means to relieve joint pain, you should attend the Motion Academy’s Total Joint Replacement class. This class will help you determine if total joint replacement is an option. In addition, you’ll be equipped with key information needed to facilitate preoperative preparations, hospitalization, discharge, recovery and home care. We encourage those considering surgery to identify a care partner who can provide assistance before, during and after surgery. Care partners should also attend the Total Joint Replacement class.
More informed patients undergoing joint replacement surgery can benefit from fewer complications, less pain and faster recovery. That’s why Tempe St. Luke's Hospital offers complimentary total joint replacement education by the Motion Academy — designed to expand your knowledge and understanding of all aspects of total joint replacement surgery, including what to expect before, during and after the surgical procedure.
The Total Joint Replacement class will help you to better understand:
• Total joint replacement surgery, its options, risks and benefits.
• Causes, symptoms and treatment options for osteoarthritis.
• How to be an active partner in your care during hospitalization.
• Pre- and post-surgical exercises to strengthen key muscle groups.
• Postoperative medication and pain management.
• Equipment needs and home care following your surgery.
• Lifestyle changes to maximize bone, joint and muscle health.
Registration for the Total Joint Replacement class is free of charge. If you are considering joint replacement surgery or if you will be caring for someone undergoing surgery, we encourage you to attend the Total Joint Replacement class at your earliest convenience. Comfortable attire is also recommended.